In search of essentially the most mouth-watering road meals in Athens? Preserve studying…
Each journey to any vacation spot, to be full, should embody the native flavours and aromas of the place you’re visiting. A responsible pleasure of each journey is to attempt the road meals that’s accessible, beginning with distinct native flavours but in addition together with native variations of common road meals from different international locations.
Athens is an actual paradise of gastronomy, the place the customer can discover and take a look at the whole lot. Excessive gastronomy, nationwide cuisines, native cuisines, patisseries, and bakeries, but in addition glorious road meals. This text maps the preferred Greek road meals in Athens and the place to seek out it. We begin with extraordinarily distinctive native flavours, however we additionally confer with beloved worldwide road meals.
See additionally: A Guide to Athens, Greece
Be a part of this gourmet food tour to take pleasure in an genuine Greek breakfast, go to conventional meals shops and take a look at mouth-watering Greek desserts.
The place to seek out one of the best road meals in Athens
For actual native flavours, be certain that so as to add the under road meals to your “should eat in Athens” checklist.
Though you’ll have heard loads concerning the wealthy recipes of Greek delicacies, you’ll be shocked to be taught that the Athenians’ favorite breakfast is the koulouri. It’s a small round bread made with flour and yeast and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Generally it’s crunchy, typically tender, but it surely’s at all times tasty and wholesome.
Some historians imagine the koulouri originated through the Byzantine interval. It then turned common in Thessaloniki when the Greeks from Asia Minor introduced it to the town in round 1922. That’s why you’ll usually discover it known as koulouri Thessalonikis.
In Athens, you should buy it in bakeries, road distributors, and, at present, specialised shops that promote completely different variations of the basic koulouri. However you possibly can eat one of the best koulouri in two locations:
- The primary one is Koulouri Tou Psirri (Georgiou Karaiskaki 23, Psirri), a workshop that has been round since 1960 and produces the identical scrumptious koulouri all these years. Additionally it is this koulouri that you simply discover at many of the road distributors in Athens.
- The second level is the well-known Takis Bakery (Misaraliotou 14, Koukaki), very near the Acropolis. Takis Bakery is one thing like an establishment for the residents of the Koukaki neighbourhood. With a household custom of baking bread since 1961, it’s really the primary bakery to introduce the koulouri Thessalonikis to Athens.
These are Greek doughnuts which have a spherical look and a pleasant golden color. They’re made with flour and salt and are lined with honey syrup and cinnamon. This dessert in all probability comes from Historical Greece, the place it was made and awarded to the winners of the Olympic Video games.
In at present’s Athens, there are numerous outlets which have loukoumades on their menu. Nonetheless, one of the best ones you possibly can attempt are in two outlets that keep a decades-old custom and in a single that desires to supply a extra trendy model:
- Krinos (Aiolou 87, Athens) was established in 1923 and was the primary main patisserie in Athens with a sitting corridor. It turned well-known for its loukoumades served with honey or scorching chocolate.
- Loukoumades Ktistaki (Sokratous 59, Omonoia Sq.) is a small place hidden within the streets round Omonoia Sq.. For the reason that Fifties, it has been making scrumptious small loukoumades, crunchy on the surface however tender and filled with honey syrup.
- However, Lukumades (Aiolou 21, Monastiraki) is a contemporary place that, other than the basic model, gives loukoumades injected with many unique flavours and added spreads on the highest in addition to gelato on the facet.
Cheese Pie (Tiropita)
One other favorite morning snack of the Athenians that accompanies their espresso is the cheese pie (“tiropita” in Greek). There are lots of variations of cheese pie. You will discover it with puff pastry (sfoliata), with shortcrust dough (kourou), or with conventional phyllo full of varied kinds of cheese. However the unique is at all times made with feta.
Within the centre of Athens, there are three outlets that make cheese pies that actually stand out and have grow to be a part of the gastronomic historical past of the town.
- The primary one is Ariston (Voulis 10, Syntagma Sq.), which is a small bakery that has stood in the identical place since 1910 and treats the folks of Athens with its well-known kourou cheese pie. The recipe got here from Constantinople by its founder, Dionysios Lompotesis, and it’s nonetheless a secret.
- The second place is Mam (Pesmazoglou 3 & Panepistimiou 34, Athens) which opened in 1958 and nonetheless serves its well-known sfoliata cheese pie with a style licensed by the standard of the components.
- Final however not least, Dodoni (Lykourgou 9, Omonoia Sq.) with glorious kourou cheese pie and 9 extra pies can also be a beloved place of the locals.
That is is a Greek pastry (candy or salty) consisting of custard cream, cheese, spinach, rooster or minced meat filling between layers of phyllo. Bougatsa is served sliced into small items and the candy one with powdered sugar and cinnamon on high. The origins of bougatsa will be traced again to Constantinople and Byzantium. Bougatsa unfold throughout Greece after 1922 and was established as a preferred snack in Serres and Thessaloniki by the refugees from Asia Minor.
There are lots of locations in Athens that make bougatsa, however you possibly can eat essentially the most genuine ones at three locations.
- Close to the Nationwide Gallery, Makedonia (Michalakopoulou 27, Athens) makes glorious genuine bougatsa with a recipe from Serres. It has excellent phyllo and wealthy cream.
- One other well-known place is Sante (El. Venizelou 74, Kallithea), within the suburb of Kallithea. It’s a really legendary store that is still open 24 hours and serves freshly baked and scrumptious bougatsa with varied fillings.
- Lastly, at Krinos (Aiolou 87, Athens), you possibly can attempt a bougatsa that prides itself on being authentically Athenian. It’s made with puff pastry, crammed with clean and candy cream, and served entire (not sliced).
This boat-like bread is a sort of open pie, containing cheese and different fillings. Its attribute is the buttery dough and the contemporary butter normally added on high. Its origin is in Turkey and its identify comes from the Turkish phrase “peynirli” which implies “with cheese”. However, it’s also referred to as the “pie of the Black Sea” and is a highly regarded delicacy of Georgian delicacies (the place it is named “khachapuri”). In Greece, peinirli got here together with the refugee flows of the twentieth century. Though it is without doubt one of the hottest road meals in Athens, there are only some locations in Athens the place you possibly can style it in its unique type.
- Stamatis (Akadimias 77, Athens) is the place you have to go to if you wish to style freshly baked peinirli. The peinirlis listed here are ready and baked in entrance of your eyes. The dough is a little bit bit crispy and additional tasty, whereas the number of fillings is sort of enough.
- One other place for peinirli within the metropolis centre is Feyrouz (Karori 23, Athens). Born in Antioch, Turkey, Feyruz introduced together with her the flavours and aromas of the East and shares them generously by way of her small store. Among the many scrumptious oriental dishes, the freshly baked peinirlis stand out. Right here you discover distinctive mixtures of flavours and components which might be sufficient to fulfill each want.
The king of Greek road meals is unquestionably souvlaki. It consists of small items of meat grilled on a skewer. The unique souvlaki is made with pork (however these days it’s also made with rooster, beef, or lamb) and served with a slice of bread. However souvlaki can also be served wrapped in pita bread together with tzatziki, tomato, onion, and typically fried potatoes. This model is named tylichto (which implies “wrapped” in Greek).
Aside from the meat on a skewer, tylictho will also be crammed with gyro, kebab or burger. Though souvlaki eating places (“souvlatzidika” in Greek) have at all times existed in Athens, within the final 20 years there was an explosion within the variety of shops providing souvlaki. On this method, it is rather laborious to recommend which is one of the best.
Nonetheless, the next 4 locations are actually price a go to:
- Ηοοcut (Agias Irinis Sq. 9, Monastiraki) is created by 5 well-known cooks who determined to open a souvlaki restaurant. They don’t attempt to innovate, however slightly create basic souvlaki wraps of their highest high quality model.
- Lefteris o Politis (Satovriandou 20 & Romvis 18, Athens), alternatively, serves Athenians a model of tylichto with a well-cooked pita, juicy burger, tomato, and onion for 71 years.
- On the identical time, Prodorpion (Akadimias 52, Athens) is taken into account to serve one of the best pork skewers in downtown Athens. The meat is at all times freshly grilled and really juicy.
- Lastly, if you wish to attempt one of the best tylichto with a kebab, you have to go to Tomas Kebab (Sarkoudinou 49, Neos Kosmos). Right here Tomas and his sons, with conventional recipes from their homeland, Armenia, make a novel lamb kebab wrapped in a pita with onions and tomatoes.
The sandwich is a well-liked snack for all hours of the day in Athens. For a few years, the time period “vromiko,” which implies “filthy” in Greek, was principally used to explain sandwiches in Athens. These sandwiches are continuously cooked by road canteens utilizing low cost supplies (therefore the nickname). Additionally, it has lengthy been a favorite supper for folks coming residence from nighttime leisure. Nonetheless, issues have modified and there at the moment are many various sandwiches accessible, each by way of high quality and ingredient choice.
When speaking about sandwiches, Guarantee (Veikou 41, Koukaki) is at all times a reference level. For the previous 34 years, it has been creating contemporary sandwiches within the coronary heart of the Koukaki neighbourhood. Right here, the distinctiveness, high quality, and number of selections make a distinction. Select from greater than 150 completely different components to create your personal sandwich.
One other alternative is Amandine’s Bagels (Nikis 13, Syntagma Sq.), which creates creative sandwiches with freshly baked bagels utilizing French finesse.
Lastly, among the best choices for road meals is Talking Breads (Spirou Trikoupi 11, Exarcheia). Right here they use solely the highest-quality components. Every little thing is ideal, proper right down to the final ingredient and the freshly baked butter bread. Although many shoppers come right here for the burgers, we go for the 5 artistic sandwiches.
Most likely one of the vital well-known dishes on this planet is pizza. It was invented in Naples and since then, together with its variants, has unfold everywhere in the world. In Athens, you’ll find quite a few locations making pizza, because it is without doubt one of the Greeks’ most beloved dishes. The next 4 locations serve glorious pizza and are positioned at or close to the town centre.
- Day by day at midday, Crust (Protogenous 13, Psyrri) opens and serves tasty, and real New York pizza. The components are contemporary, and the dough is ethereal but crunchy.
- Probably the most well-known pizzeria within the centre is School Pizza Bar (Agia Eirinis 8, Monastiraki). It serves Italian pizza with a couple of American tweaks and is consistently busy. The dough is crunchy and paper-thin. It’s additionally intriguing how the restaurant is adorned to seem like a classroom.
- One other welcome discovery is Smak (Romvis 21, Athens). The dough, which is made and spiced for six days, is what makes the distinction, whereas the pizza has a specific type with raised edges.
- Tzaiant (Georgaki Olympiou 21, Koukaki) is a brand new pizzeria that has captured the eye of pizza fanatics. Right here, chances are you’ll attempt a pizza that deviates from the norm in 10 completely different mouthwatering mixtures.
It’s a favorite road meals of thousands and thousands of individuals all over the world and has its rightful place within the hearts of the Athenians. Though twenty years in the past you might solely discover burgers in quick meals chains, now they’ve acquired their very own separate place within the culinary historical past of this metropolis. At the moment you’ll find many variations of the burger, from essentially the most gourmand to the most straightforward road model. Three glorious choices for a tasty burger within the metropolis centre are these three locations.
- Tarantino Burgers (Dimitrakopoulou 17, Koukaki) has a fanatical viewers. Right here, you’ll discover juicy, well-grilled beef burgers served on fluffy bread. Though there are quite a few choices and mixtures, they use solely chosen components, so the flavour isn’t compromised.
- Pax Burgers (Aiolou 34, Monastiraki) is a self-service restaurant the place the burgers (for which you may have a alternative between a burger of 140 gr and 200 gr) are additional tasty and well-grilled. The service right here may be very fast service regardless of the crowds which might be normally ready to be served.
- Guerilla Chef Burgers (Solomou 33, Exarcheia) is a small burger joint that has grow to be the discuss of the city. Burger (single or double), bun, cheese, mayonnaise and ketchup are sufficient to compose one of many juiciest and tastiest burgers on the town.
The steamed buns, which originated in China have conquered the world within the final decade and have grow to be a favorite road meals in Athens. They’re made with fluffy white dough and crammed with varied kinds of meat, greens, and normally spicy sauces. Athens is not any exception to this new development. A number of eating places have added bao buns to their menus, and lots of specialised outlets are making them. Even the favored Greek quick meals chain Goodys has launched bao buns to its menu.
- Thess Bao (Perikleous 30-32, Athens) is the only option to attempt a big number of bao buns. The buns are at all times freshly baked and with greater than ten tasty mixtures, which embody vegan choices in addition to bao buns with burgers, you’ll absolutely have an issue deciding what to eat.
- One other glorious possibility is Bao Bae (Kapsali 5-7, Kolonaki). Right here, you possibly can select from seven tasty and creative mixtures of handmade buns. If you need, you possibly can pair it with some high quality cocktails (that are served in a disposable glass to take with you in your stroll).
I hope the data above has persuaded you of the number of road meals in Athens. After all, there are different areas and delicacies to discover. Though this an in depth information, nothing can evaluate to the possibility discoveries you can also make by yourself throughout a journey.