Picturesque lighthouses. Gushing waterfalls. Dramatic rocky cliffs overlooking the world’s largest freshwater lake. Marquette, a small metropolis on the northern coast of Michigan’s Higher Peninsula, is each an outside lover’s paradise and a culturally distinctive vacation spot. However simply because it’s a small city doesn’t imply there aren’t loads of issues to do in Marquette, Michigan – right here you possibly can absorb the fantastic thing about pristine nature through the summer time when this distant, lakeside city is bustling with locals and vacationers alike.
You’ll be able to spend your days paddling on Lake Superior, mountain climbing to gushing waterfalls, and absorbing each final drop of this northerly outpost’s prolonged summer time days – that is what the season’s all about. So let’s discover all of the magical issues to do in Marquette, Michigan!
Psst: Planning …. listed below are another posts
Psst: We have now some recommendation, right here is an choose in kind:
Issues to find out about Marquette, Michigan
It’s honest to imagine you haven’t heard of Marquette, Michigan, regardless of it being a stunning slice of paradise, so let’s let you know the whole lot it’s good to find out about this superb vacation spot!
The place is Marquette, Michigan?
Marquette is positioned in Michigan’s Higher Peninsula – that’s the lengthy, skinny half that sits above the mitten half. The UP touches Wisconsin on its western finish and is linked to the Decrease Peninsula through the 5-mile-long Mackinac Bridge. The UP has coastlines alongside Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, and Lake Huron. Marquette is located within the central third of the UP and sits on Lake Superior’s southern shore.
Marquette is the biggest metropolis in Michigan’s Higher Peninsula, however solely the fifty-fourth most populous metropolis within the state of Michigan. That ought to provide you with just a little context for what to anticipate from the UP, the place solely 3% of Michigan’s inhabitants resides. Forests, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls are extra frequent than cities, subdivisions and other people. Marquette County is greater than the state of Rhode Island (and residential to a fraction of the inhabitants).
What’s the Historical past of Marquette?
Earlier than Europeans got here to this a part of the world, it was house to Menominee, Anishinaabe, and Dakota folks. They moved round to hunt totally different animals like deer, moose, and bears. Relying on the season, they might additionally entice, ice fish, and forage. Lengthy earlier than it turned often called “Copper Nation,” Indigenous peoples started digging for copper within the Keweenaw Peninsula to Marquette’s northwest.
Within the seventeenth century, the French arrived. The fur commerce dominated the economics of this area in the meanwhile when trappers would paddle their furs across the space by birchbark canoe.
Marquette, although, owes its fame to iron ore. This essential mineral was found in 1844, and extra wealth got here from mining iron ore within the UP than from gold mined through the California Gold Rush. In actual fact, through the Civil Conflict, the majority of the iron ore utilized by the Union Military got here from Marquette.
The mining business attracted a variety of immigrants to the UP, together with Irish, Cornish, French-Canadian, German, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish employees. Many of those immigrants ended up farther north within the Keweenaw Peninsula, however their tradition and custom permeated by means of a lot of the UP. This cultural infusion is obvious within the meals, festivals, and traditions that happen throughout the peninsula.
The legacy of the mining business in Marquette remains to be apparent at the moment — there may be nonetheless some mining accomplished within the space, although nowhere close to the extent seen within the 1800s. Marquette’s harbors are house to mammoth ore docks, the place big freighters come to replenish with ore. One in every of these docks remains to be energetic at the moment.
At this time, Marquette is understood extra as an outside fanatic’s dream than a mining city. Pristine rivers, seashores, and woods welcome these on the lookout for solitude and nature. House to Northern Michigan College, Marquette is an brisk small city with a robust sense of group and delight of their stunning environment.
Some name Marquette “the Queen Metropolis of the North” or “the Queen Metropolis of Lake Superior” — although the origins of those nicknames aren’t clear, they’ve a pleasant ring to them, don’t they?
What’s the Finest Time to Go to Marquette?
Marquette transforms from absolutely the epitome of winter — buried beneath a number of ft of gorgeous snow alongside Lake Superior’s icy coast — into an idyllic lakeside summer time wonderland and a colourful playground within the fall. It’s solely the in-between that’s disagreeable. “Spring” is a loaded phrase within the UP, and might’t be trusted (suppose snow, rain, mud, extra snow, and so on.). Whereas we love winter in Marquette, we predict summer time is the most effective time to make the most of this out of doors recreation paradise.
June is the earliest you’d need to go to should you’re on the lookout for summer time climate. To be trustworthy, June can nonetheless be chilly (we’re speaking lows round 50, and highs within the 60s). However you would possibly beat the crowds coming for the hotter months of July and August. You will have a tough time believing that this city clinging to the northern fringe of the UP truly warms up, however common summer time highs attain the mid 70s, with lows close to 60. Not scorching, per se, however fairly darn excellent.
Plus, because of this northern metropolis’s latitude, summer time days stretch on and on — across the summer time solstice, sundown isn’t till almost 10 p.m!
How do I get to Marquette?
There is an airport in Marquette, but it surely’s not the largest. Sawyer International Airport is a fast 25-minute drive south of Marquette. In the event you fly in, you’ll need to cease in Chicago or Detroit — the one cities with direct flights from Marquette.
In any other case, you possibly can drive in. There aren’t many huge cities shut by (Detroit is sort of 7 hours away, Milwaukee is sort of 5) so no matter the place you’re coming from, you’ll in all probability have an extended drive. The excellent news is, Michigan’s Higher Peninsula is attractive.
A drive from the Decrease Peninsula will embrace a memorable crossing over the five-mile Mackinac Bridge — the place you possibly can anticipate to pay a $4 toll — and a stunning journey alongside Lake Michigan’s shoreline earlier than turning north.
A drive from Wisconsin means extra lakeside driving and winding by means of stunning woods. Within the winter, the drive can imply hours of white-knuckling the steering wheel whereas curtains of lake impact snow bury the roads — however summer time drives by means of the UP are scenic and nice, with loads of roadside parks alongside the Nice Lakes and rivers to interrupt up the journey.
Issues to Do in Marquette
Marquette has an incredible steadiness of issues to do — with a heavy emphasis on out of doors actions and exquisite vistas. Whereas summer time usually brings attractive climate, there’s lots to do when a storm rolls in off the lake, too.
From lighthouse excursions to rocky hikes, stress-free on the seashore to holing up in a comfortable bookshop, listed below are our favourite issues to do in Marquette, Michigan!
Take a Hike
As you’ll know by the point you arrive in Marquette, there may be lots of attractive nature to discover in and round this metropolis. In fact, folks come to the UP for one factor (trace: it’s not the nightlife). You guessed it — out of doors recreation.
One of the in style issues to do in Marquette, Michigan is mountain climbing, and with a plethora of trails to discover you possibly can’t go mistaken — by foot in the summertime and by snowshoe and ski within the winter, there’s at all times one thing new to see.
- Sugarloaf Mountain (1 mile spherical journey, 460 ft elevation): Locals scoff on the concept of Sugarloaf as a “hike” — it’s extra of a collection of staircases that finish atop a mountain. No matter you name it, the journey of Sugarloaf is effectively well worth the effort. After mountain climbing on a steep wooded path from one of many two parking heaps, you’ll begin climbing the steps that shortly deliver you up in elevation. “Hike” or not, you’ll be huffing and puffing while you arrive on the viewing platform and easy rock faces on high. The views are unbeatable — you’ll see Lake Superior, Hogsback Mountain, Presque Isle Park and even the Higher Ore Dock.
- Hog(s)back Mountain (~2 miles, ~600 ft elevation): This path is for all of the adventurous hikers on the market — and by that we imply you gained’t discover essentially the most clear path to the highest (or essentially the most clear instructions to the path, both). Plus, the final half mile of the hike is extra of a scramble up a rocky face than a hike… You get the thought. However you’ll agree it’s value it while you get to the highest — anticipate infinite swaths of forest, the rolling Huron Mountains, and — after all — Lake Superior’s deep blue expanse. Hogback — or Hogsback, relying on who you discuss to — is quintessentially UP: You gained’t see many individuals, it’s very rugged, and it’s distant. Take further precautions and navigation aids should you do that hike — or higher but, seek the advice of an area.
- North Country Trail (so long as you need): The North Nation Path is a lesser-known Nationwide Scenic Path — just like the Appalachian Path or Pacific Crest Path. It’s additionally the longest within the Nationwide Path System, spanning from Vermont to North Dakota over 4,800 miles. Within the UP, this path crosses east-west and passes proper by means of Marquette, so you possibly can choose a bit of it and hike so far as you want. You’ll be able to catch the path downtown the place it skirts the waterfront to see the place the historic, charming buildings line the harbor. Or you possibly can head west and begin mountain climbing within the towering pine forests nestled alongside the pristine, sandy seashore at Little Presque Isle.
Admire a Waterfall
You could not realize it, however Michigan is full of waterfalls. Lots of of them. And solely two — sure, a measly two — are within the Decrease Peninsula. Which means the UP is chock-full of waterfalls, and there are a ton round Marquette.
You may spend weeks, months, or years touring across the UP attempting to see all of its waterfalls, although it’s uncertain you’d — a few of them are fairly distant. And do you know that there’s a “Grand Canyon” of the UP? To be trustworthy, it’s actually nothing just like the precise Grand Canyon, however that’s to not say it isn’t attractive. Sorry, gorge-ous. Anyway, should you’re up for chasing waterfalls, listed below are among the finest round Marquette:
- Laughing Whitefish Falls: About 30 miles outdoors Marquette, Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park accommodates probably the most picturesque waterfalls within the UP. And in comparison with loads of the opposite waterfalls within the state, it’s huge. Water flows down a 100-foot rock face that’s been eroded to kind one thing like a slip-’n-slide-meets-staircase. (We don’t advocate you attempt to scale it — one slip, and also you’re toast). This isn’t a swimming vacation spot — there’s no path to entry the pool — however you’ll don’t have any scarcity of swimming choices elsewhere. The drive to the trailhead is fairly easy, ending on a well-maintained (if muddy) dust highway. From the trailhead, the hike to the falls is about half a mile every manner. When you attain the highest of the falls, you possibly can hike down some stairs to view the falls from the underside.
- Yellow Dog Falls: Northwest of Marquette, towards the city of Big Bay, a half-mile hike leads to Yellow Canine Falls. Fifty ft large with a thirty-foot drop, a big boulder splits the falls down the center. The Yellow Canine river is designated as a National Wild and Scenic River — a designation you don’t come throughout usually within the Midwest. There are a number of peaceable swimming pools alongside the river each earlier than and after the falls — excellent locations to take a splash within the clear (and chilly!) water on a scorching day.
- Dead River Falls: Simply outdoors of Marquette on the town’s northwest aspect, Useless River Falls plunges over a half mile of rocky outcroppings dropping almost 100 ft. The hike to get there is reasonably difficult and consists of a few water crossings and just a little little bit of rock scrambling. Roots, rocks, and an total uneven path covers nearly a mile from the trailhead to falls. Benefit from the stunning surroundings, however you’ll want to watch your step!
Chill out on the Seaside
Nice Lakes seashores are in a category of their very own. No, there aren’t palm timber or beachside tiki bars. However what they lack in tropical aptitude, they make up for with freshwater attraction. Superior’s waters are chilly, blue, and clear. The seashores vary from rocky cliffs to tender, sandy stretches. And no, you possibly can’t see Canada throughout the lake!
Marquette is even recognized for its freshwater browsing, although the waves are higher within the fall. Whereas Superior is perhaps too chilly for the uninitiated, you don’t need to miss out on stress-free at one among these stunning seashores. Deliver a towel, a e book, a surfboard should you dare, and revel in a one-of-a-kind seashore expertise.
- McCarty’s Cove: This in style downtown seashore is a fast stroll from resorts and eating places. It’s house to the stunningly purple Marquette Harbor Lighthouse and provides attractive shoreline views. There’s additionally a lifeguard on responsibility, which makes this an incredible place to swim. Rip currents are a hazard within the Nice Lakes, too, so pay shut consideration to forecasted situations.
- Little Presque Isle Beach: Little Presque Isle Seaside is a quiet vacation spot seven miles northwest of city on the foot of the Huron Mountains. The seashore itself is a picturesque, sandy expanse overlooking the rocky Little Presque Isle offshore. Inland, there are trails (for mountain climbing and mountain biking), lakes (for fishing or paddling), and extra dramatic views of moody Lake Superior and the rocky isle offshore.
- Au Train Beach: A 25-mile drive east of Marquette brings you to Au Practice seashore, the place infinite sand and dune grass make for a picturesque shore. The Au Practice River flows gently into Superior right here, including to the curiosity of this in style sandy seashore. Au Practice Seaside is well accessible from M-28 — simply park within the lot proper off the freeway and comply with the path to the seashore.
Stuff Your Face
You could not know what to anticipate when visiting what appears like a wilderness outpost on the sting of civilization. However allow us to reassure you: You will eat effectively. You could be questioning, in a spot with such a brief rising season, what’s Marquette recognized for?
Two dishes stand out among the many relaxation: pasties and whitefish.
You’ll discover whitefish on nearly each menu within the Higher Peninsula. And for good cause — it’s contemporary and scrumptious. Feast on whitefish sandwiches, whitefish dip, fried whitefish bites — you identify it, and you’ll eat it.
Pasties are one other UP staple — a savory meat pie born from the mining days, and a hearty meal to gasoline your out of doors adventures.
There’s lots extra to Marquette’s meals scene, so attempt these native favorites, then discover your personal!
- The Vierling: The Vierling is a traditional and Marquette’s oldest brew pub, only a block from the waterfront and the ore docks. (In the event you’re fortunate, you’ll get a desk with a view). Contained in the restaurant, traditional art work, wooden finishes, and stained glass home windows create a comfortable ambiance. The Vierling is understood for its contemporary whitefish and house-brewed beers. The whitefish bites — contemporary fish fried with selfmade beer batter — are the proper begin to any meal (or the meal itself, should you eat sufficient), and the blueberry wheat ale is successful.
- Lawry’s Pasty Shop: You can’t come to the UP with out consuming a pasty. This handy, satisfying, and undeniably scrumptious creation is a relic of the mining days, when the lads wanted a handy, handheld lunch to get them by means of the shift. A hand pie stuffed with savory meat and veggies, pasties came visiting with Nineteenth-century Cornish immigrants. You’ll see pasties being bought everywhere in the UP, however in Marquette, you’ve gotta attempt Lawry’s. It’s a small store with restricted seating, so get your pasties to go and convey them on a beachside picnic at McCarty’s Cove or Presque Isle.
- Iron Bay: In the event you’re on the lookout for an incredible, lakeside vibe, Iron Bay is the place. The restaurant sits inside what was once the Iron Bay Foundry, inbuilt 1872. Set proper alongside the harbor, this hip, historic constructing serves up traditional UP consolation meals, a big collection of beer, and a stunning Lake Superior view. In the event you hadn’t already observed, whitefish is on most Marquette menus — and Iron Bay has loads of choices. Strive the whitefish chowder, whitefish tacos, and even whitefish tater tots. (And don’t fear — should you don’t like fish, they’ve received different choices).
Cozy Up With a Espresso
For a small city, Marquette has greater than its justifiable share of espresso outlets. Perhaps it’s the truth that it’s a university city. Or perhaps it’s a manner for locals to collect (and heat up) all through the various months of winter. Regardless of the cause, Marquette is fortunate to be house to a number of unbelievable espresso outlets — every with its personal character. Listed below are our favorites — take your choose or attempt all of them!
- The Crib: This spacious espresso store is located inside a renovated 1800s Victorian home in downtown Marquette. It’s the house of Crappie Espresso Roasters (don’t fear, the espresso is something however crappy). With area each downstairs and up, you’ll find your personal little nook to get pleasure from your espresso or tea. Not craving caffeine? In addition they serve wine, beer, cider, and cocktails. From a traditional cappuccino to a fresh-squeezed margarita, the menu is as pleasantly eclectic because the area.
- Contrast Coffee: This espresso store emphasizes group at its 4 places throughout the UP, partnering with native nonprofits to boost cash and group consciousness. “906 Days” — days on which 100% of income go to an area nonprofit or trigger — help issues like psychological well being, help for home violence survivors, and youth out of doors applications. Espresso with a trigger — we will’t complain about that! Apart from the great they’re doing, Distinction serves up some tasty joe and meals, like inventive crepes and paninis. Come for a traditional nitro chilly brew or one among their seasonal lattes — Blackberry cobbler latte, anybody?
- Velodrome Coffee Company: Hip, cool, and fashionable, Velodrome goes the additional mile with its distinctive menu gadgets, like a fruity pebbles latte, lavender basil latte, and mint Milano iced espresso. They make the whole lot in-house, together with the flavored syrups. In the event you want a chunk to eat, additionally they make crispy selfmade waffles with native maple syrup. If that weren’t sufficient, Velodrome homes a service-focused bike store, so in case your trip is in want of a tune-up, deliver it alongside in your espresso run.
Sip a Drink on the Patio
Yoopers know the right way to take full benefit of summer time. And so they higher — as a result of it doesn’t final lengthy. There’s one thing about capitalizing on these attractive summer time days — sitting on a patio with a chilly drink in hand — that’s nothing in need of idyllic. Michigan’s summer time days are lengthy, however the season is brief. So seize a spot within the solar and drink up!
- Zephyr Wine Bar: House to Michigan’s longest by-the-glass wine listing, Zephyr Wine Bar is the place to get a pour of no matter you want. Marquette isn’t wine nation, however Zephyr options a few of Michigan’s finest picks from the state’s booming wine areas to the south. Strive one of many Michigan glowing wines — award-winning Mawby Vineyards close to Traverse Metropolis makes a speciality of it. Zephyr additionally serves cocktails, beer, espresso, appetizers, and desserts. On weekends, you possibly can even eat at The Cellar restaurant (by reservation solely) and revel in a four-course, prix-fixe dinner. Sip on the charming out of doors patio or cozy up indoors.
- Blackrocks: Come inside lots of of miles of this much-loved native brewery, and also you’ll see its emblem plastered on the rear bumper of each beer-drinkin’ Yooper’s Subaru. Okay, we is perhaps exaggerating a little, but it surely’s no stretch to say it is a Marquette gem. The brewery is contained inside an previous home, they usually just lately expanded so as to add tons of area. The indoor area is cozy and informal with loads of room to unfold out, and the patio out again (usually visited by meals vehicles) is the place to be within the summertime. Strive the 51K IPA — a subtly fruity, earthy beer named for the native Noquemanon Ski Marathon.
- Ore Dock Brewing Company: Downtown close to the waterfront, Ore Dock is a brewery making Lake Superior-sourced brews and seltzers. They don’t serve meals, however you possibly can order in or seize meals from visiting meals vehicles. On a summer time day get pleasure from a Bum’s Seaside wheat ale or a Recent Coast IPA — or, if a cold breeze is coming off the lake (which is usually the case, even in the summertime), cozy up with a darkish lager just like the Six Pointer Dunkel.
Store Downtown Marquette
Whereas Marquette is the most important metropolis within the Higher Peninsula, it’s not… huge. However there’s so much packed into the downtown district that’s tucked alongside the Lake Superior shore. This can be a little metropolis with a giant character, and it’s evident within the eclectic outlets, boutiques, and shops lining the hilly streets. Spend a day wandering by means of downtown Marquette, stopping for espresso, refreshment, or a Lake Superior view everytime you need. Listed below are among the must-visit outlets in Marquette:
- Snowbound Books – Cozy, pleasant, with loads of nooks and crannies — what extra may you need from a bookstore? The aptly named Snowbound Books in downtown Marquette is a must-stop in any season. When you’re unlikely to get snowed in on a summer time go to, that is the most effective place to choose up just a few seashore reads earlier than you head to the lake.
- Downwind Sports: In a city as outdoorsy as Marquette, you want a trusty place to seek out all your gear. Downwind Sports activities is the city’s native clothes shop, with the whole lot from mountain climbing equipment and fishing gear to PFDs and bike helmets. Come right here to buy or to get the lowdown on Marquette’s trails, rivers, and lakes.
- Boomerang Retro and Relics: Go to the UP’s first retro-chic boutique! Boomerang carries a wide range of new and previous retro, classic, and mid-century fashionable clothes and treasures. This retailer is all about feeling fabulous and colourful — and who isn’t into that?
- Revisions: In case you have any curiosity in crops, playing cards, and the most stunning items, ensure you go to Revisions. This retailer is a pleasure to browse and sells the whole lot from attractive potted crops to bathtub bombs to ceramics and candles — very hygge, should you ask us. Cease right here for the proper reward or memento out of your time in Marquette!
- Revival: A sister retailer to Revisions, this boutique has the identical stunning, calming vibe. As an alternative of crops and items, Revival sells clothes, equipment, and residential decor. Every little thing is deliberately chosen, they usually don’t promote quite a lot of of every piece (making the whole lot distinctive!). In the event you’re on the lookout for a flowy gown or floppy hat to put on to the seashore, that is your store.
Go to Presque Isle Park
Presque Isle Park is Marquette’s native gem — a 323-acre wooded peninsula surrounded on three sides by Lake Superior. The park’s declare to fame is that it was “designed” by Frederick Law Olmsted. The well-known panorama architect, who designed Central Park in NYC, was within the space to design the grounds round a millionaire’s mansion however was additionally requested to create a plan to show this rugged peninsula right into a park. His recommendation? Don’t contact it. Or, extra eloquently, Presque Isle “shouldn’t be marred with the intrusion of synthetic objects.” Level taken. At this time, Presque Isle is kind of the identical wild land that Olmsted visited within the late 1800s.
Presque Isle is most famously recognized for the Blackrocks — 1.7 billion-year-old rock from historic ocean crust. Whereas they’re fascinating to take a look at and marvel at their age, most locals come to do one among their favourite issues to do in Marquette, Michigan: cliff jumping off the Blackrocks. If thrills aren’t your factor, there’s nonetheless lots to do at Presque Isle. Our favorites embrace:
- Watch the sundown at Sundown Level: Have you ever ever seen a Nice Lakes sundown? There’s nothing like ‘em, and Presque Isle Park is the proper spot to catch one. This far north, the solar units fairly late in the summertime. Cap off a day on the park with a picnic at Sunset Point, or drive in after a dinner downtown to catch the present. Both manner, deliver your digital camera to seize the fantastic reds and oranges from the muted daylight catching the rocks and the waves.
- Hike the paths: When you can drive the perimeter of the park, you can too hike it on a lovely, well-kept path. Circumnavigate Presque Isle on the two.3-mile loop, take a path by means of the inside of the peninsula, and cease alongside as many offshoots as you prefer to take an image, swim in Lake Superior, or simply benefit from the view. Whereas the park’s Peter White Drive does hint the path at some factors, it’s nonetheless fairly quiet — and there are even “Walking Hours” throughout which the highway is closed to autos.
- Hang around on the seashore: The seashores on Presque Isle won’t be the white, sandy stretches you’ll discover elsewhere alongside Superior’s shore, however they’re actually particular: Assume historic, rocky outcrops dropping off into the deep blue lake. The seashore subsequent to the well-known Blackrocks is an thrilling place to hang around, have a picnic, rockhound, and watch courageous locals and vacationers soar off the cliffs into the frigid water beneath.
Tour a Lighthouse
Michigan has extra lighthouses than some other state (although for some cause Maine calls itself “the Lighthouse State”…). Greater than 40 of them are discovered within the Higher Peninsula. There are three that make a simple go to throughout your journey to Marquette, all on Lake Superior’s shore, although the UP has lighthouses on Lakes Michigan and Huron, too. Michigan’s maritime historical past is fascinating (cue: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald), and there’s no higher approach to deliver it to life than by seeing or touring a lighthouse.
- Big Bay Point Lighthouse: This lighthouse sits dramatically perched on a cliff close to Massive Bay, a tiny outpost that was as soon as a trip retreat for Henry Ford. The sunshine itself emerges from a reasonably purple brick construction, now house to a small Bed and Breakfast. Now, this vacation spot on Massive Bay Level attracts these eager to spend the evening in a historic lighthouse. Massive Bay Level Lighthouse Mattress and Breakfast additionally provides tours of the energetic lighthouse to each company of the Inn and to the general public.
- Marquette Harbor Lighthouse: This traditional purple lighthouse sits proper on the harbor and makes a fast cease throughout a day round city. Wanting like an previous one-room schoolhouse (with a light-weight as an alternative of a bell, after all!), it was inbuilt 1853 and is the oldest important construction within the metropolis of Marquette. It was a crucial a part of the cargo of iron ore within the Nice Lakes area, and it nonetheless shines at the moment! You’ll be able to tour the lighthouse on foot with a information from the Marquette Maritime Museum. In the event you time your journey proper, you could even get to affix a “paranormal” tour — they’re supplied the third Friday of the month.
- Presque Isle Harbor Lighthouse: Subsequent to Presque Isle Park, the very nautical-looking purple and white Presque Isle Harbor Lighthouse sits on the finish of an extended breakwall, which, if the climate permits, you possibly can stroll right down to view the lighthouse. It’s nonetheless in operation, guiding Nice Lakes freighters into the Presque Isle Dock to gather their a great deal of iron ore. In your approach to the lighthouse, try the monument close to the breakwall that warns of Superior’s wrath: “The superior fantastic thing about Lake Superior’s waves have their darkish and tragic aspect. The great drive of the waves and the frigid water can overpower even the strongest swimmers.” Does that provide you with chills or what?
Take a Day Journey to Pictured Rocks Nationwide Lakeshore
In the event you’re on the lookout for a day journey, you possibly can’t beat Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Right here you possibly can see colourful sandstone cliffs rising from the icy waters of Lake Superior. It’s a panorama of gorgeous seashores, thundering waterfalls, wooded trails, and Caribbean blue water. Checking it out is unquestionably probably the most attractive issues to do in Marquette, Michigan!
A fast 45-minute drive east alongside the shore of Lake Superior brings you to this 42-mile stretch of cliffs, seashores, and dunes. You’ll be able to discover the Lakeshore by land or by water, and there are many actions to select from. Hike, go to a seashore, see a waterfall, take a ship trip, kayak, or swim (should you can deal with the chilly).
Listed below are a few of our favourite issues to do at Pictured Rocks Nationwide Lakeshore:
- Go mountain climbing: Mountaineering is likely one of the finest methods to expertise Pictured Rocks Nationwide Lakeshore. There are over 100 miles of trails that wind by means of dense forest, close to streams and waterfalls, and alongside Lake Superior’s dramatic coast. The North Country Trail additionally traverses the lakeshore. You may spend a number of days mountain climbing alongside the Lakeshore from finish to finish, however there are many nice day hikes, too. For a full-day hike, Chapel Loop trail (10 miles) takes hikers by among the park’s extra in style waterfalls and seashores. If you wish to spend half a day on the path, the Beaver Basin Wilderness loop (5.5 miles) winds by means of numerous forests, by Beaver Lake, and alongside Lake Superior. Lastly, should you solely have time for a brief hike, hike from Miner’s Castle to Miner’s Beach and again (2 miles spherical journey).
- Chill out on the seashore: If it isn’t obvious but, Lake Superior’s south shore options some fairly spectacular seashores. And opposite to what you would possibly anticipate, not all of Pictured Rocks’ shoreline is characterised by sheer cliffs. There are some attractive sandy seashores tucked into the Lakeshore which can be value trying out. Sand Point Beach, Twelvemile Beach, and Miner’s Beach are a few of our favorites.
- See the waterfalls: As we talked about earlier, the Higher Peninsula is stuffed with waterfalls, and Pictured Rocks options among the finest. Earlier than you head into the Lakeshore, you possibly can see the 50-foot Munising Falls proper outdoors the town of Munising. It’s a fast stroll on a paved path to get there. Miner’s Falls is essentially the most highly effective waterfall within the park and drops 50 ft over a sandstone cliff and there’s a stunning (although busy) 1.2-mile spherical journey hike to get there. Chapel Falls drops 60 ft into Chapel Lake, however solely try to entry this waterfall you probably have a high-clearance automobile. Lastly, Sable Falls, one mile west of Grand Marias, features a collection of cascades that tumble 75 ft towards Lake Superior.
- Take within the colourful cliffs from a ship (and see much more waterfalls): Pictured Rocks is unimaginable even should you keep on land the complete time. On a sunny day, the lake is impossibly blue in opposition to the orange, purple, and brown cliffs that tower as much as 200 ft over the water beneath. However to get the total expertise — and to actually perceive the that means of the identify “Pictured Rocks” — you need to hop on a ship and cruise alongside the Superior shore. Pictured Rocks Cruises provides just a few totally different journeys that deliver you inside spitting distance of among the Lakeshore’s most iconic landforms, together with Miner’s Castle, Lover’s Leap, and Chapel Rock. Plus, two of the park’s most dramatic waterfalls cascade off steep cliffs instantly into Lake Superior — and that is the easiest way to see them! If you wish to see these identical sights however desire a extra energetic mode of transportation, select from a collection of kayaking excursions alongside the Lakeshore.
The place to Keep in Marquette
Whereas staying in Marquette, you’ve two fabulous choices: staying within the small downtown space the place the whole lot is a brief stroll away, or renting a spot outdoors of city that places you in the midst of nature. As a result of Marquette is surrounded by dense forests, rivers, hills, and Lake Superior, you don’t need to enterprise far out of city to entry these attractive landscapes.
That mentioned, if you wish to spend loads of time having fun with eating places, outlets, breweries, and the waterfront, choose a spot to remain downtown. If you would like a quieter place to remain — one which makes you are feeling one with nature — select a spot outdoors of city.
Listed below are a few of our suggestions for every:
- The Landmark Inn is Marquette’s most elegant resort — the place “Outdated-world European splendor and attraction meet fashionable comfort.” Assume chandeliers, wood-paneled partitions, and stained glass! Located within the coronary heart of downtown Marquette, you’re near the whole lot on the Landmark. Plus, the rooftop views of Lake Superior — accompanied by cocktails and appetizers — is sufficient to make anybody swoon.
- Superior Stay is a brand new boutique resort close to the college campus and loads of eating places and bars. This clear, snug, and fashionable resort is ideal for anybody who desires to take full benefit of the town and environment whereas having fun with a quiet, no-fuss keep. And like every good northerly lodging, you possibly can wager there’s a sauna.
- This clean and modern downtown rental is near each the seashore and downtown facilities. You’ll be able to stroll to the seashore for a day within the solar or stroll into city on your morning espresso. Plus, it’s received a cute entrance porch and a non-public yard patio for having fun with Marquette’s impossibly lengthy summer time days.
- 15 miles from Marquette, this sunny lakeside cabin is the proper Northwoods retreat. The house’s spacious wraparound balcony takes benefit of gorgeous views of the peaceable, quiet Saux Head Lake. Your morning espresso or night glass of wine couldn’t be accompanied by something extra serene. However should you’re feeling extra adventurous, you possibly can take the kayak or canoe out for a peaceable paddle across the lake.
- This private Lake Superior cabin sits 12 miles east of Marquette on a stunning stretch of sugar sand seashore. Spend your days strolling the seashore, taking part in within the solar, or taking a dip within the refreshing water — and at evening, collect across the firepit for an area brew or s’extra whereas listening to the waves lapping the shore. That is UP paradise.
About Our Visitor Poster: Emily is a copywriter, nature lover, and artwork dabbler who lives within the northern Michigan city of Traverse Metropolis. Her favourite components of journey are the out of doors pursuits distinctive to the vacation spot — and the most effective native foods and drinks she will be able to discover. Be taught extra at emilycarolcopy.com.
What issues to do in Marquette, Michigan are you most excited to do first? Tell us within the feedback beneath!
Psst: Planning …. listed below are another posts
Psst: Save this put up for afterward Pinterest!