Amboseli Nationwide Park is fantastically full of superb sightings. Dubbed the “Dwelling of the African Elephant”, it’s one of many safari locations in Kenya to expertise the unbeatable touristic actions.
It’s additionally one of many two premium nationwide parks in Kenya and is situated within the south-eastern area of Kenya close to Tanzania. Its magnificence is unknown to many and valued by few, however when you go to you’ll endlessly be in love with this vacation spot.
Famed for its excellent elephant herds—the park’s elephant inhabitants estimated at 1600. The majestic creatures are set with a backdrop of the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro in neighboring Tanzania. Vegetation within the park is dominated by acacia woodland, rocky thorn bushes, marshland and a Pleistocene Lake Amboseli.
Aside from the assured wildlife sightings within the park, one can delve deeper into the sphere of wildlife conservation that provides as much as Kenya’s elite wildlife experiences. Nationwide Parks in Kenya are an incredible promoting level for Kenya’s tourism trade and many individuals take pleasure in safari expertise with a steely dedication to marvel on the Big Five. Nonetheless, the Amboseli Nationwide Park affords greater than wildlife and you’re assured an incredible expertise.
On this article are a few of the finest actions to do in Amboseli Nationwide Park. We additionally share info on get to Amboseli Nationwide Park, working hours and entrance charges, and a few of the prime lodging choices for you.
Additionally try: Nairobi National Park: The Only National Park in a Town
Right here’s what to stay up for:
get to Amboseli Nationwide Park
Amboseli Nationwide Park has 4 gates: Iremito, Meshanani, Kimana, and Kitirua.
The park is well accessible by highway from Nairobi, Kenya’s capital. The park is roughly 240km from Nairobi, which interprets to a 4-hour drive through the Nairobi-Namanga route through its Meshanani gate. This route is faster because it has minimal site visitors and is much more scenic.
Alternatively, one can take the Nairobi-Emali route through Mombasa highway, which can be a 3-hour drive with out site visitors. Nonetheless, this route will be slower as Mombasa highway is among the many busiest roads; thus, certain to expertise heavy site visitors particularly throughout peak hours. Accessing the park from Mombasa is principally by Tsavo Nationwide Park, roughly, 7 hours drive.
The park’s proximity to Nairobi makes it accessible for guests who wish to get pleasure from a drive alongside Kenyan roads. It is usually nice for day journeys; nevertheless, to get the very best out of the vacation spot, I might suggest a two-day keep to exhaust all its merchandise.
By practice you possibly can board the SGR at Nairobi or Mombasa and alight at Emali terminus. From Nairobi, the practice takes 1 hour half-hour to get to Emali whereas from Mombasa, the practice takes just below 5 hours. From right here, Amboseli is 91km away and you’ll need to rearrange for pick-up by Amboseli camp or automobile rent providers.
Notably, for a luxurious expertise, guests can get to Amboseli through home chartered flights from Nairobi’s Wilson Airport that land within the park’s airstrip or Namanga Airstrip, within the close by Namanga city. The flight is roughly 90 minutes.
Amboseli Nationwide Park working hours and entrance charges
The park operates between 6 am – 7 pm all yr spherical inclusive of public holidays. No entry is allowed previous 6:15 pm.
As of 2023, Kenyan residents and residents visiting the park, pay an entrance price of ksh 860 for adults and ksh 215 for youngsters, whereas non-residents are charged ksh 8,469 ($60) for adults and ksh 4,940 ($35) for youngsters. All charges are legitimate for twenty-four hours.
Extra detailed info on the associated fee overview and different expenses will be accessed by the parks administration web site, the Kenya Wildlife Service. When visiting the park take into account that all funds are cashless they usually settle for Mpesa, Visa, and direct financial institution deposits.
Insider Tip: Whereas the park will be visited all yr spherical, the very best time to go to Amboseli Nationwide Park is through the dry season starting June to October and December to February. Presently, the park roads are simply accessible and in good situation for recreation drives.
What to do in Amboseli Nationwide Park
1. Recreation drive
Amboseli Nationwide Park has various species of untamed animals that inhabit the park’s open plains, rocky thorn bushes, and marsh land. It’s a safari wonderland characterised by the solemnly matching matriarchs and hippos. Whereas recreation drives will be carried out all day lengthy, the very best time to identify a lot of the wildlife is early morning and late night. It’s because through the day, when the solar is sizzling, the animals keep within the hideouts and solely come out to drink water within the watering holes.
A few of the different animals to see on the park embody; hyenas, giraffes, lions, waterbucks, buffalos, leopards, grant’s gazelles, and zebras amongst different animals.
Insider Tip: Whereas exploring the Amboseli Nationwide Park, it’s critical to be a accountable vacationer and prioritize the preservation of wildlife and their habitats. Respect the animals by sustaining a secure distance, chorus from feeding them, and obey the park guidelines.
2. Cultural excursions
A go to to Amboseli Nationwide Park is incomplete with out partaking in a cultural tour. Surrounding the park is the Maasai group, one in all Kenya’s reigning indigenous group. The Maasai are well-known for his or her tradition and cultural parts like dance, souvenirs like beaded jewellery, woven baskets, clothes popularly generally known as the Maasai shuka and crafts.
Whereas having fun with the Maasai tradition and heritage, guests can interact and take part in the neighborhood’s sustainable growth initiatives like afforestation and different voluntourism actions in the neighborhood.
Insider Tip: Be a accountable vacationer and assist the area people by shopping for their items and providers and respecting their tradition and heritage.
Tenting will be frolic and enjoyable and I can not think about a greater approach to get pleasure from it by tenting exterior a lodge overlooking the majestic African giants and the gorgeous view of Mount Kilimanjaro. Camping at the Amboseli National Park costs roughly $50 for adults and $25 for youngsters at particular campsites; $30 for adults and $25 for youngsters at public campsites. I might counsel making prior enquiries concerning the availability and state of the campsites as a result of they’re hardly maintained.
The park has three widespread campsites, all of that are situated exterior the park. These embody:
- Kimana Camp Amboseli: the most typical in Amboseli run by the Kenya Wildlife Service. It’s situated simply exterior the park’s Kimana gate. Set underneath large acacia timber that present shade from the scorching solar. The camp is a tented camp in addition to a campsite.
- Olgulului Camp Amboseli: this campsite supplies a wonderful view of Mount Kilimanjaro. It about 5 minutes away from the park’s Meshanani gate. The camp supplies all the fundamental facilities; although, chances are you’ll be required to look somewhat more durable for firewood.
- Kimana Sanctuary: this campsite is privately owned as it’s situated within the close by conservancy. It’s half an hour away from the park gate and has barely completely different prices which are inclusive of conservancy entrance charges.
4. Guided nature stroll on the Remark Hill
Amboseli Nationwide Park is of course endowed with scenic vegetation, swamps, and elevated view of the park’s plains and animal species on the pyramid-shaped remark hill. The remark hill is likely one of the locations inside the park, the place guests are allowed to disembark from their autos and proceed on foot.
Atop the hill, you may get a panoramic view of the park’s plains and various animal species. On the remark hill, you’ve got entry to the knowledge centre, the place there are pasted boards with info about wildlife like baboons, lions, and birds on the park. Equally, you possibly can view the scenic Lake Amboseli with its lovely flamingoes on one facet and the height of Mount Kilimanjaro on the opposite.
5. Hen watching
The park supplies a house to over 400 species of birds that may be noticed within the marsh space, grasslands, and woodlands. A few of the unmissable birds right here embody the better flamingo, lesser flamingo, lengthy toed lap claw, Rufous chatter, Spike-heeled heron, Tavete golden weaver, widespread redshank, and Dickinson’s kestrel. Birds will be troublesome to sight when at a distance, due to this fact, having your binoculars is important.
Insider Tip: To get essentially the most out of this exercise, fowl watching is finest carried out through the moist season (April to June and November to December) when migratory birds are within the Amboseli area.
6. Scorching Air Balloon Safari
A hot air balloon ride is likely one of the most fulfilling actions. Taking a sizzling air balloon journey permits you to fly the Amboseli skies whereas having fun with an aerial view of the park. You possibly can see elephant herds and buffalos throughout the plains whereas mingling with birds of the air.
With a scenic backdrop of the snowcapped Mount Kilimanjaro, Amboseli Nationwide Park is a delight for nature lovers. It supplies the very best contrasts, terrain, and landscapes to seize the very best of wildlife. The nice experiences are value capturing in your lenses for good reminiscences and nostalgia. Amboseli is often known as a spectacular spot for wildlife pictures and film-making.
8. Wildlife Conservation and Analysis on the Elephant Analysis Camp
The African elephants on the Amboseli are among the many most studied elephants in Kenya and globally. The analysis camp is situated inside the park underneath the steerage and management of the Amboseli Trust for Elephants.
Whereas the analysis camp shouldn’t be open to informal visits, guests could make prior preparations for interactive periods with the researchers to study their analysis work and the problems related to elephant conservation. It’s additionally an incredible alternative so that you can be concerned in conservation tourism by making donations to assist elephant conservation efforts, collaborating within the elephant naming ceremony, and turning into a member of the Elatia household.
The place to remain and eat at Amboseli Nationwide Park
Amboseli Nationwide Park affords various lodging choices starting from mid-range to luxurious lodging. These can be found each inside and outdoors the park. Whereas staying contained in the park you pay extra, you get the good thing about experiencing lovely dawn and sundown and never having to hurry to get out of the park earlier than closing time.
A few of these choices embody:
- Kibo Safari Camp: It’s the most really helpful lodging facility in Amboseli and ranking in first place on Trip Advisor. The camp has a safe fence to maintain off wildlife. It has 73 self-contained tents for single, double, triple and household lodging. Every tent is provided with flush bogs, showers and washbasins. Amongst different facilities is a lounge and bar, eating space, swimming pool, artwork gallery, spa, convention services, open terraced restaurant and a memento store. Costs per night time are upwards of $250.
- Kilima Safari Camp: Situated adjoining to the park, the camp offers spacious accommodation in a 4-poster bed fitted with mosquito web and different facilities. All rooms within the camp have a seating space and personal toilet. An evening’s keep right here will value you $400.
- Amboseli Serena Lodge: This can be a private large group hotel and its brick and mortar mannequin supplies the traditional lodging expertise for guests who usually are not used to the nighttime roar of the looking lioness. Its hunkered down prime place within the park permits it to boast of the spectacular views of the Kilimanjaro. The usual value for an evening keep is roughly $290. The power additionally supplies particular provide packages for vacationers all yr spherical and through particular seasons.
- Porini Amboseli Camp: This camp is owned by the well-known Porini Safari Company and it’s situated exterior the park within the Selenkay conservancy. It has a complete of 9 en-suite tents with conventional safari design, easy furnishing, spacious rooms and comfy thick rugs. Lodging per night time is $640 and that is inclusive of guided recreation drives, bush walks, sundowner, and entry to the viewing platforms over watering holes.
- Elewana Tortilis Camp: This 5-star private tented camp is to the south-west of the park adjoining to a non-public conservancy—Kitirua Wildlife Conservancy. Lodging right here entails 16 luxurious makuti- thatched (sundried leaves of the coconut palms) tents, every with twin or double beds, en-suite baths, and verandah. It’s barely above up-market costs for the posh expertise. Amenities right here embody lounge and bar, swimming pool, spa, free Wi-Fi, reward store, guided bushwalks, birding, youngsters actions, sundowners, and cultural group visits.
- Ol tukai Lodge: This eco-rated lodge is on the coronary heart of the park presenting distinctive out of doors and indoor services. It’s a getaway for an enthralling up to date retreat. It’s the prime spot for watching the elephant herds with the backdrop of the Kilimanjaro. Thus, essentially the most most well-liked by guests visiting the park. This facility is designed to create consolation for its guests by prioritizing their security and comfort whereas shifting across the park.
- Kilimanjaro Visitor Home: That is one other accommodation facility within the park at Iremito gate managed by the KWS. This facility hosts as much as 7pax and that is preferrred for a household set-up. You possibly can get pleasure from actions like tenting, recreation viewing and picnicking on the banda. Notably, the banda is on self-catering foundation. What higher approach to get pleasure from household time than cooking collectively whereas having fun with the panoramic views of the wild!
- Simba Cottages: This banda can also be managed by the KWS and hosts two folks. Just like the Kilimanjaro visitor home, you possibly can get pleasure from a picnic setting, recreation viewing, and tenting right here. It is usually on self-catering foundation.
- Get a neighborhood Safaricom Sim with activated Mpesa (cellular cash service), as it will make it easier to in conducting money transactions as gaining access to some banks exterior Nairobi will be difficult. Moreover, Safaricom has nice community protection throughout the nation.
- Be taught a couple of Swahili phrases like greetings makes nice dialog starters particularly when interacting with the area people (additionally try these cultural greetings in Africa). For instance:
Sasa – Hello/ Good morning
Asante/ nashukuru – thanks
Karibu – Welcome
Final however not least, keep in mind to hold a re-usable water bottle for rehydration. Our parks don’t permit single use plastics. Let’s develop the #BringYourOwnBottle problem and cease plastic air pollution.
See additionally: Kenya eVisa: Everything you need to know